Monday, July 9, 2007

I'm too old for this stuff

On our downtime, my husband and I like to sit on the deck and talk about the path that brought us to where we are today and hopefully where we’ll be in the future. Sometimes we wonder “what if?”

What if he had stayed in the military? What if I had gone to law school? What if we had a baby while we were in our 20s instead of waiting until our mid-30s?

I had always maintained that I’m glad parenthood didn’t happen until later in our lives. We had time to spend together and still be immature when the mood struck us. After all, we wouldn’t have been able to hop in the car in the middle of the night and drive to New Orleans for a Hand Grenade if we had a baby.

But now that Ladybug is 17-months-old and running all over the place, I sometimes find myself wandering “what if I had had her at 24? Would I have more energy?”

I was struck by this thought on the 30th round of “Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes.” Ladybug was in her crib watching me do an exaggerated Vaudeville-style performance, huffing and puffing each time I’d bend over. By about the 10th verse of “knees and toes” I was too tired to keep going and ended up just pointing at my extremities. By about the 20th time, I lifted up her arms and guided her hand to her head, shoulders, knees and toes.

To Ladybug, it was just a comical deviation. For me, it was a realization that I like “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” much better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home