Thursday, July 5, 2007

Some risks are worth taking

It’s official.

July 19 is my last day at work.

After nearly nine years as a reporter and editor at The Shreveport Times, I’m leaving to start a new career as a stay-at-home mom.

It wasn’t a hard decision to make. (Read “A Turning Point” entry below.) Sure, I’ll miss the financial ability to shop on a whim. And yes, I’m having just a tad bit of trouble identifying myself as a mom rather than a working woman when people ask what I do for a living. I’ve been identified by my career for so long that it’s hard to let go.

But the way I figure it, the payback will be worth it.

I’ve already started a mental list of things I want to accomplish that I never found the time to do when I was working: clean out the closets, have a yard sale, read my last year’s issues of Parenting magazine.

And the most important: Spend time with Ladybug and my husband.

As a working mom, I never felt as if I had enough time with either of them. My work schedule changed from day to day, and it was difficult to find a family rhythm. Either Ladybug was asleep when I got home, or I was so tired that I’d go to bed and not see my husband until the next evening.

But if there’s one thing having a baby does, it’s putting things in perspective. I can always find another job later, I can always climb my way back up. But turning back time, that’s one thing I’ll never be able to do.

From what I’ve heard from other moms, I’m not alone in those thoughts. If you’ve decided to be a stay-at-home mom, I’d love to hear from you. Click on “Comments” below to share your stories.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, goodness. Today is not a good day to share warm stay-at-home stories. There are, however, so many benefits to staying home ... you'll find your own. And when you do, when you have those incredible moments with your child that you wouldn't have otherwise by working full-time. Grab hold of those moments. Hold on tight. And appreciate it. Don't take anything for granted when home with your sweet girl. Appreciate the hugs, the kisses, the little secrets you and Ladybug will share. Even when there's bad days, there's always tomorrow. Remember that when you feel like taking your first drink at 2 p.m.! Good luck to you :) Ladybug will love you even more for this.
kks

July 6, 2007 at 1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been a stay at home mom on and off through the years. I really appreciated being home with my kids when they were young. As they get older, I have found it easier to go back to work. They really benefit from being around other children. I feel like I did what I needed to do to raise them the way I wanted to raise them. Now, I'm back at work and they're in daycare and at school. They love it! So, you don't have to lose your identity just b/c you're staying home with your child. You just tell people that you just became a stay at home mom and will probably go back to "whatever it is that you do" in the future. You'll probably gets lots of unwarranted advice, but listen when it makes sense. Good luck! You've done the right thing!

July 9, 2007 at 7:05 AM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I know it will be trying at times (kks, you sound like you're having a rough day) but everyone I've heard from says they don't regret their decision, that it's the best thing they've ever done. I have no doubt I'll feel the same way.

July 9, 2007 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I work part time ever since my daughter was born. She is 15 months old too. I just love being with her.
I would go crazy if I had worked full time. There are gals who can do it. But it is not my cup of Tea.

I just love the energy she has, I am very very happy for you. And enjoy this precious movements.

July 12, 2007 at 10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home