Wednesday, May 9, 2007

She's a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It started when Ladybug was about two months old.

We were in Carter’s shopping for little summer dresses after a stressful morning. Ladybug had come off a whirlwind couple of weeks of ER visits, doctor appointments and, that morning, a stomach biopsy. Her pediatric gastroenterologist had wanted to rule out the possibility of a stomach kink, and thankfully we got the news we were looking for. Ladybug’s projectile vomiting and trouble breathing were all tied to severe acid reflux that would improve with time.

To celebrate the news, we went to the Boardwalk to find Ladybug some new outfits. We were all exhausted, having been up since 4:30 a.m. (although that would imply we had slept the night before.) Ladybug was still in her white and yellow pajamas and fell asleep in her stroller, right between the racks of clothes.

That’s when we ran into an old acquaintance that we hadn’t seen in several years.

“I didn’t know you had a baby!” she said. “Oh, he’s so cute!”

He?

He?

“He is a she,” I replied indignantly.

“Well, then you should make her look like one instead of wearing boy clothes,” was her retort.

It was at that moment that I remembered why we hadn’t talked in years.

That said, since when are white and yellow “boy colors”?

I tried to brush it off and give her the benefit of the doubt. Don’t all babies kind of look alike in the first couple weeks? And, OK, she had no hair.

But then it happened again a few months later at the doctor’s office. As another baby tried to take one of Ladybug’s toys, her mother said, “Give it back to him.”

Yes, Ladybug was dressed in white pants and a white pullover, but her hair was curling around her collar. How can you not think she’s a girl?

But I think the worst was the most recent incident. Ladybug and I went grocery shopping, and I was already feeling a little self-conscious about the enthusiastic home haircut she had gotten a few days earlier.

I was standing in the return lane when the cashier looked at Ladybug and said, “Oh, aren’t you a cute boy!”

I sighed and looked down at Ladybug in the shopping cart, trying to remember what white outfit I had put on her that day.

She smiled back at me, kicking her butterfly sandaled-feet from underneath a tied-dyed skirt.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We get this all the time - even when SweetPea is dressed head to toe in pink. What IS that? My sister actually found a t-shirt with a woman symbol and the words, "NOT A BOY."

May 21, 2007 at 11:56 AM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

We were leaving IHOP this weekend and a woman was sitting at the entrance, rocking a baby girl who was only a couple months old.

As we passed by, the woman said to the baby she was holding, "Oh look! Another little girl!"

I stopped in my tracks for a brief moment.

I wanted to run and hug that woman.

May 21, 2007 at 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home