Thursday, May 24, 2007

Sniff, sniff! What's that smell?

Today I’ve been hungry.

Not just stomach-rumbling hungry.

Ravenous-eat-everything-in-sight hungry.

I plowed through my whole-grain waffles for breakfast.

Ate Ladybug’s leftover scrambled eggs too.

Sucked down four cups of coffee.

Tackled the donuts that a colleague brought to work.

I think it’s the training you get from having a toddler who’s a picky eater.

See, I can’t stand to see anything go to waste. So when Ladybug doesn’t want her microchopped lasagna, I’ll eat it – even if I just finished my own plate.

That was the case when we went to IHOP this weekend. It was the first time we had ever bought Ladybug her own meal. Usually we just tote along snacks and bottles with us, but this time we got her a pancake and scrambled eggs. She ate about half of each before she realized they’re best when airborne.

So I took away her plate, and dreading the thought of it getting dumped, ate it myself. But of course I had already ordered my own lunch, and not wanting that to go to waste, ate it too.

The whole practice has left me constantly hungry and sniffing out snacks like a dog routing through garbage.

Someone please stop me before I start asking my colleagues, “You finished with that?”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I laughed as I read this, then empathized last night as I finished off my daughter's raviolis before eating my gumbo for dinner. And a slice of key lime pie. Wonder what's for snack? :)
kks

June 6, 2007 at 5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home