Thursday, May 10, 2007

Celebrate motherhood: Help save a life

I don’t know Ethan Powell.

I don’t know his parents either.

But there was something about his story that grabbed my heart.

Maybe it’s because I’m a mom now.

Maybe it’s because I remember the terror I experienced in the ER when Ladybug was poked and prodded for hours, a half dozen nurses trying to find a vein large enough from which to draw blood, my two-month-old baby turning purple from nonstop screaming.

Maybe it’s because I can’t imagine life without Ladybug.

All those feelings came rushing in when I saw Ethan’s big eyes staring at news cameras, his parents pleading for people to get a bone marrow test for the one in 2 million chance doctors might find a match for the two-month-old leukemia patient.

There have been several bone marrow drives for Ethan since then, and there are more scheduled throughout the Ark-La-Tex. Visit Ethan’s site for dates and places.

You can also order a test kit through http://www.marrow.org/ for a kit that will collect a swab of cheek cells for tissue typing. The kits are free through May 21.

What better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than to help save a life?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ethan started attending day care with my daughter a week before he became ill. He had the crib next to her. I would come in every day and look at his empty crib and my heart would just sink. I would look at my little girl and wonder what I would do if this were happening to her.
That is why I went to a bone marrow donor drive this week and had myself placed on the registry. It is so easy. It is done by cheek swab, no blood is drawn.
If you have any hesitation about whether to do it or not, think about what you would want others to do if your child was the one needing help.

May 10, 2007 at 10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am one of the PR coordinators for the Ethan Marrow Campaign. It brings tears of joy to my heart to know that in this day and age there are people that will step out and help other people....strangers or not. Thank you everyone and I know I can speak for the family when I say everyone that has helped is a true ANGEL.

May 15, 2007 at 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home