Monday, September 3, 2007

A moment to reflect

We have a very set morning routine: Bottle, diaper change, Baby Einstein. But every once in a while when I have filled a DVD with home movies, we’ll swap out Baby Mozart with Baby Ladybug.

A few days ago we watched our latest home movie with highlights of the last month. As I watched Ladybug run and kick a ball and bellyflop onto my husband’s stomach, I was struck by how much she has changed in the last 18 months. And what was even more incredible is how much she has changed in the last four weeks.

In the last three days alone, Ladybug has said five new words: wall, bath, bubble, book and belly. She’s also become quite a pro at “Head and shoulders, knees and toes” although she looks like a disjointed disco dancer as she tries to keep pace with the song.

I’d like to think her progress is because of how my husband and I interact with her. Each time I change her diaper, I’ll ask Ladybug where her eyes are or tell her to show me her ears. When we play, I’ll ask her where her ball is or if she can find her crayons.

My questions are mostly greeted by Ladybug pointing to the appropriate body part or locating the correct toy. But as she sat on the floor recently and stared at her image in the entertainment center, I asked her, “Is that your reflection?” She responded, “I don’t have one.”

I wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. Her matter-of-fact answer -- and the fact that she answered at all – made me want to burst out in uncontrollable laughter. But when I realized what her response meant – that she’d soon be talking – I wanted to curl up in a ball and wail, “My baby is growing up!”

I didn’t, of course.

But only because I saw my reflection in the entertainment center.

To share your thoughts and read other comments, click HERE.

4 Comments:

Blogger Major Mom said...

That is so adorbale!

They do grow up so fast. It seems like just yesterday that my eight-year-old was saying her first word.

You've inspired me to gather up my home videos on DVD.

September 3, 2007 at 5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My oldest is fifteen today and my youngest will be 1 on Friday. Wow how the time flies.

I also need to get my old movies on DVD so we can actually watch them. I'm sure I would be crying my eyes ou

September 4, 2007 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

Home movies is about the only thing I've been able to commit to doing. The baby scrapbook I bought to document the milestones -- still sitting in the closet. The gazillion digital photos I've taken of Ladybug -- still sitting on a hard drive in unorganized folders. But home movies -- that I can do.
Anonymous, Happy Birthday to your oldest and youngest. How fun to be able to celebrate the two ends of the age spectrum in the same week.

September 4, 2007 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! It is definately differant. The oldest finally got a cell phone and clothes (hopefully he'll quit bugging us) and the other a walking toy and baby toys although he would have been just as happy with a cardboard box or a plastic bowl he could bang on. Although they are 14 years apart it is so neat to see the likeness in them, they are both my comedians and keep me laughing and on my toes. Both are total mommies boys too. My two girls are like night and day one is a real girlie girl mood swings and all and the other is a total tomboy and they are only 23 months apart.

September 6, 2007 at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home