Tuesday, September 11, 2007

The perils of an older mom

The doctor said the grey streaks that starting appearing in my hair when I was pregnant with Ladybug would go away. It was just a hormone thing, he said.

But here it is 19 months later and it hasn’t gone away. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. There are so many grey hairs that I can’t pluck them out fast enough, which makes a weekend incident in the toy store that much more … troubling.

Mom and I had taken Ladybug out and were letting her roam the toy store when all of a sudden she bolted down one of the aisles.

“Mom, get your baby,” one of the employees joked as Ladybug slipped out of reach.

But the comment wasn’t directed at me. The employee said it to my mom.

Granted, my mom is quite youthful-looking 57-years-old. Her petite stature and brown hair swept back in a carefree ponytail make her look years younger than she really is. But still …

Maybe I misunderstood what the employee said. Maybe she really was talking to me.

Or maybe these grey hairs make me look older than I really am.

To share your thoughts and to read other comments, click HERE.

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

Although I haven't had the misfortune of gray hair yet, I do feel your pain. There are days that I feel like I should have a head full of gray hair. Don't sweat it. Look at it as a badge of motherhood

September 12, 2007 at 6:27 AM  
Blogger Major Mom said...

That's happened with my mom and I too. I prefer to think of it as a compliment to my mom and hope that our shared genes will ensure that I look so good at her age.

Or maybe I'm living by a river in Egypt. ;-)

September 12, 2007 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

Yeah, I'd like to think that about our shared genes as well. But I'm not starting out on a good foot ....

September 13, 2007 at 10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home