Friday, October 5, 2007

Coffee or tea?

Since my husband’s mother won’t be able to join us for Christmas this year, she sent us money to buy Ladybug’s Christmas gifts on her behalf. It’s easier that way since every package she sends us gets broken somewhere along the France-to-America journey. So we went to Toys R Us the other day to pick up a few items in her name. And as usual, I couldn’t wait to give them to Ladybug.

I put most of the toys away with the exception of a few small things, most notably a tea party set. It came as a bonus to a box of play dishes. And to be honest, if it weren’t for that, I don’t think it would have ever crossed my mind to buy one. I was never a tea party kind of gal, more content to make rock-and-dirt cookies and chocolate mud milk.

But that tea set was a hit, ranking among one of the best buys we’ve ever made. Ladybug and I set up the cups and saucers on a tray, invited a couple of her stuffed animals and pretended to eat a pile of donuts, mini cakes and animal-shaped cookies (in reality, wooden blocks and the contents of the “Barrel of Monkeys” game).

It was so precious I wanted to cry. Ladybug made swishing sounds as she “poured” the tea, gulped as she “drank” it and let out delighted “mmmm”s as she pretended to take bites of the snacks. As I “finished” what was on my plate, I made an exaggerated yawn and said, “I ate so much I need a nap!” Then I collapsed on the floor and started snoring. Ladybug laughed and ran over to me, pulling me by the T-shirt to sit up.

“No!” she giggled as she tried to prod me awake.

I’d sit up and fall back down “asleep,” the cycle of laughter continuing between us. I don’t know how long we played like that but if it were up to Ladybug, we’d never stop. I guess that’s why now, three days later, the tea set is still in the middle of the living room.

To share your thoughts and to read other comments, click HERE.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this :) Husband used to sit on the floor with J, too, and they would play "tea" forever. We have loads to pictures of Jenna and her tea parties w/all her animals. I'm so glad you're enjoying this time!!

October 7, 2007 at 7:10 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

Thanks, I am having a blast! Who would have known this would be so cool?

October 8, 2007 at 6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home