Thursday, October 25, 2007

Come back, come back

Aside from “Titanic," there’s not much that brings me to tears. But I’m choking back a few right now after a brush with my laptop’s delete button.

I was transferring files when I accidently erased the wrong folder – the folder with 3,704 digital pictures of Ladybug, the majority of which I still haven’t printed.

I couldn’t find the deleted photos anywhere. I opened and closed every folder, searched through the recycle bin, laid my head on the keyboard as if I could transfer the images in my brain to the hard drive by osmosis.

I wanted to puke. All of my visual memories – from the first time I held Ladybug all the way through last night’s modeling of her new footed pajamas – were gone. I was on the edge of full-blown hysteria when I called to my husband for help.

A click here and a click there, and my computer whiz of a husband restored all of my pictures of Ladybug. Now if he could just do the same for my composure.

To share your thoughts and to read other comments, click HERE.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! Thank God for smart husbands. I keep saying I'm going to get an external hard drive to back up all those precious memories I think you just motivated me to do it.

October 26, 2007 at 7:07 AM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

Not to disappoint, but it was during the transfer to the external hard drive that the folder disappeared. I don't know what I did or how my husband found it, but when he did he created a backup on my laptop as well. And then this morning, the external hard drive died. If I didn't have the backup on my laptop, all the photos would be gone for good. I'm going to burn them to CDs and upload them to Walgreens for printing later. That should keep me covered if it happens again.

October 26, 2007 at 11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.K so maybe I'd be better off buying a bunch of CDs for backups.
Thanks!

October 26, 2007 at 5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG ... my mouth was dropped until I heard your husband was able to retrieve them for you!!! Thank goodness!!
k

October 27, 2007 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

Yeah, but I still get sick to my stomach thinking about it.

October 28, 2007 at 12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home