Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Hoverer

Ladybug enjoys our outings, as long as she doesn’t have to be in her car seat for more than two hours at a time. So our trip to the Renaissance festival outside of Houston this past weekend came pre-programmed with a picnic lunch on our way and a stop at McDonald’s on our return.

This particular McDonald’s not only had an indoor playground but video games, stationary dirt bikes and a variety of toddler attractions. Ladybug made a beeline for the wall-mounted steering wheels and began “driving” with another little girl about her age. When the little girl moved to a peg puzzle, Ladybug followed. Same for the dirt bikes and the basketball hoop. And when the little girl darted up the steps of the jungle gym, Ladybug was right behind her.

And so was I.

Yes, I’m a hoverer. I’m one of those moms who will lift their child over the side of a slide rather than have them walk up the stairs. I’m one of those moms who holds their child’s hand as they teeter along a kid-sized balance beam. I’m one of those moms who says no running on concrete.

I’m one of those moms who gets strange looks from other mothers.

I know tumbles and scraped knees are part of childhood – a not-so-pleasant part of debunking a toddler’s sense of invincibility. But to me, 20 months is still too young for that lesson. I figure Ladybug has plenty of time ahead of her to learn the concepts of gravity and balance.

So moms, the next time you see me, go ahead and stare. Just try not to laugh as the playground equipment groans under the weight of an older woman.

To share your thoughts and to read other comments, click HERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home