Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Ships passing in the night

“I’ll take care of Ladybug tonight,” my husband just turned to me to say as he headed off to bed.

“That’s alright. I’ve got it,” I replied.

As much as I’d like to get a full night of sleep, it is my turn. Yes, that’s right, my husband and I are back to pulling shifts to take care of Ladybug.

I didn’t expect to be back to night work so soon. It seems like just yesterday that my husband and I were rotating, one taking care of Ladybug at night in the guest room while the other slept soundly in the master bedroom.

Those first few months of Ladybug’s life were grueling times. Aside from all the usual baby stuff, like needing to eat and be changed every two to three hours, Ladybug suffered from awful acid reflux that had her vomiting after each meal.

The on-call parent would lie awake at night, worrying over the raspy breathing coming from the crib, wondering whether Ladybug would throw up her most recent bottle and jumping out of bed each time she slid down the propped-up mattress. We were ever-so-grateful when Ladybug outgrew the reflux and started sleeping through the night.

Now here we are again, taking turns sleeping in the master bedroom so that the other one can get a full night of shut-eye.

So good night, sweetheart, as you lumber off to bed. Sleep well because tomorrow it’s your turn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home