Friday, July 20, 2007

Stay-in-bed mom

I’ll just say it: I’m exhausted.

I’m on my fourth day now as a stay-at-home mom, and I’m as tired – if not more – as when I was working a full-time job outside of the house.

Part of it may be the wind-down; I had been running on adrenaline and stress for so long that my body is just trying to catch up on the sleep deficit I had racked up over the last two years.

But the other part of it is this is a hard job.

There are no leisurely cups of coffee in the morning to gradually wake myself up. Once Ladybug opens her eyes, it’s full-speed ahead. I have to take care of her whether or not I’m ready.

And most of the time I’m not ready.

As I was preparing to leave work for the last time earlier this week, a colleague said to me, “Remember, stay-at-home mom doesn’t mean stay-in-bed mom.”

I laughed it off then. And I try laugh it off now, too, albeit through my yawns.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Suck it up. I am a single parent of 2 kids. Full time job and kids. no help.

July 22, 2007 at 5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In her defense, she is "sucking it up." She's in day 4, so give her a break. This is a new lifestyle for her. Why not show support instead?

July 22, 2007 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

I have to agree with both of you. My situation could be a lot worse. But like anything new, this will take some adjusting. So I'm going to whine and I'm going to celebrate my little victories and I'm going to take a beating from some critics. But at the end of the day I'm going to sit back and relish the decision I made and be glad that I'm doing it.

July 23, 2007 at 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home