Tuesday, July 31, 2007

You gotta wear the shoes to know

Everyone I talk to these days has the same question: What do you think of being a stay-at-home mom?

It’s a trick question. After all, these are seasoned stay-at-home moms doing the asking.

“Oh, it’s everything except what I thought it would be,” I reply to laughter.

“You got those closets cleaned out yet?”

“Nope.”

“Read any of those magazines you wanted to catch up on?”

“Negative.”

“Catching up on any sleep?”

“No.”

“You ready to go back to work yet?”

I’d be offended by that last question if I didn’t know the joke behind it: Going back to an office job would be a break. I’d have a routine, adult conversation, fewer dishes to wash. And I’d actually get to go to the bathroom when I had to go, not when Ladybug decided I could.

But my feathers do tend to get a little ruffled when a childless couple asks what I do now with all my free time. There's no hidden joke behind that question; they're serious.

“You must get to watch a lot of television,” they say.

Yeah, only if Baby Einstein counts.

Share your thoughts and read other comments by clickng HERE.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when I was a stay at home mom I was asked the same questions. I was really too tired to be offended by them. I just laughed and went on my way. But, I sympathize with you. I also got to watch Barney, Blues Clues, and other kids' shows only. I was always left out of the conversations when friends and family would talk about the most popular shows on tv. It's going to be tough gettin used to being on Ladybug's schedule. Just remember that it's all worth it in the end.

July 31, 2007 at 8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, you won't miss out on all the new developments in Ladybug's life. Just remember, even though you are "not working"(ha) you need to make time (something you have very little of) for yourself. Take care and treat yourself well, you have one of the most important jobs on the planet.

July 31, 2007 at 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been a stay-at-home for 3 years and I want a relief. It was suppose to be until my daughter started grade school and then I could go back to work. Well between that time and now I had another baby so that plan was thrown out the water. People think that all I do is sit here all day watch television, sit on the computer, and run errands every now and then but I do more than that. Not only do I do all the house work I also go to school and deal with a toddler who wants to be held all day and my husband thinks that I have a easy job. Wear my shoes for change, let me go to work to have a break from the kids every now and then.....It's not easy and we do more then just what people think we do being a stay-at-home mom.

July 31, 2007 at 10:34 AM  
Blogger MichelleBasco said...

Bless your heart! I was a sahm for one year and I've never worked so hard in my life. Now, ask me if I'd do it again and I'd tell you that I'd drop my job right now in a New York second! But it's not in the cards for our family right now so I go to work everyday begrudgingly. I know that I have it easy by working b/c for one thing I really do like my job. And I get to leave the craziness of the children for at least eight hours a day and let their needs be met by someone else. I just long to be with them and that is hard. On the upside, I can go to lunch most any day with my girlfriends and I can go to the bathroom whenever I please, and that is very nice. I enjoy those luxuries, believe me. But still, I'd rather be in your (running, :)) shoes! Try to remember to enlist the aid of mother's day out programs, they are great! And bless you for your wonderful decision to be a sahm. You r kids are super lulcky to have you!!!

July 31, 2007 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

All of you, thanks for sharing your experiences. We haven't gotten around to Barney yet, but we like Blues Clues. No Teletubbies though -- that baby sun freaks me out! As far as other adult shows on TV, I have no idea what's on. I haven't even watched the news in months. I hear there's a presidential election around the corner though ...

August 1, 2007 at 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home