Monday, September 17, 2007

Time flies

I have a rule of thumb that I use pretty routinely to help control clutter: If I buy something new, I have to get rid of something old. That applies to just about everything …. except Ladybug’s baby things.

I’ve held on to it all –from the miniature blood pressure cuff the nurses used on her in the hospital to a messed-up attempt at capturing her newborn footprints in plaster. My attachment to anything Ladybug has worn, used or played with has left me with little space anywhere in the house for future acquisitions.

That makes last week’s shopping spree a bit problematic. Between my mom and me, we bought about a dozen toys for Ladybug. That means I have to find 12 things of similar size to pack up and store away. For her new trike, I took apart the Exersaucer. For the baby in the bathtub, the tummy time gym mat.

As I cleaned up the toys for storage, I thought about how fast time has gone by. It seems just like yesterday Ladybug was bouncing up and down in the Exersaucer – or her “flying saucer,” as we called it – the pressure of the seat against her stomach forcing her lunch out of both ends.

And wasn’t it just last week that we were cheering her on when she lifted her head off the floor and stared at her reflection in the mirror on the gym mat for the first time?

Now my Ladybug is running around the house, a purple pocketbook draped over her shoulder and heart-shaped sunglasses sitting on her cute button nose. “Bye-bye,” she waves as she stands at the door.

Today she’s just going to pedal her way around the back yard.

Tomorrow she’ll be borrowing the car keys.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post almost made me cry. It is so true they grow up so fast. My baby just turned 1 and it seems like just yesterday we were bringing him home all 6 lbs and 17 inches long. Now he weighs 21 lbs. It so hard to believe he was once that tiny. My oldest will be going to driving school over Christmas break now that is a real trip but, he will always be my baby. Have fun and enjoy your little Ladybug.

September 17, 2007 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

When we passed by a row of newborn baby clothes in the store the other day, I stopped and stared. When I looked at Ladybug in the shopping cart and the tiny, tiny outfits hanging there, I couldn't believe how much she had grown in 19 months.
You have fun with your little one too, and good luck with the driving.

September 18, 2007 at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home