Sunday, October 28, 2007

Winging it

Yay! Halloween is just a few more days off meaning I’ll get to dress Ladybug up in – what else? – a ladybug costume. It’s a cute red-and-black pullover outfit, complete with an attached hood and antennae. I don’t know why it didn’t strike me at the time my mother and I bought it during her visit last month, but the costume doesn’t have wings. How can a ladybug fly without them?

So my motherly instinct was to make them. I envisioned rounded black wings that clipped over Ladybug’s shoulders. I even went to the craft store for supplies but was overwhelmed by the rows and rows of materials I never knew existed. So I ended up leaving empty-handed, and here it is three days before Halloween and Ladybug still doesn't have wings.

And then my husband reminded me that we bought fairy wings at the renaissance festival a couple weeks ago – $22 fairy wings, mind you. I know, I know – why in the world would I spend that much money on pantyhose on a coat hanger? All I can say is that it was a spontaneous purchase after an encounter with a bubble-blowing fairy.

So this Halloween, my daughter will wear purple, pink and yellow wings with her ladybug costume. She’ll be a mutant fairy bug. Now if I can just figure out how to recycle last year’s $30 Hershey Kiss costume, we’ll really be in business.

To share your thoughts and to read other comments, click HERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home