Thursday, January 24, 2008

SAHM Syndrome

There was a point when I was still working at the newspaper that I knew it was time to call it quits.

I had been recruiting readers to help develop RedRiverMoms.com when I found myself using the Mommy Voice – that octave-higher pitch where words come out sounding like tossed pillows. And in my case, in sentences that always ended with “Sound like a plan?”

The Mommy Voice is now such a part of my being that I don’t hear it anymore. I’ve moved on to the next level: putting tasks to songs.

Ladybug’s teeth are brushed to “Old McDonald Had a Farm.”

We bake while singing Cookie Monster’s “C is for Cookie.”

The Little Einsteins theme song is reserved for grocery shopping.

I even got creative and made my own ditty for handwashing sung to the tune of Row, Row, Row Your Boat: “Rub, rub, rub your hands, Rub ‘em til they’re clean, We can make lots of bubbles, like a fairy queen.”

Hmmm. I think I might need some adult conversation.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi Rankin Webb said...

you sound like you're doing surprisingly well, actually-
just wait til the day that you wake up, snap out of it, & realize that you have been talking in rhyme ala dr seuss & NEVER REALIZED IT!!!!
oh yes, that too shall come to pass!!! & it happens in the grocery store, & at the park, & at the bank, and at restaurants...

it's okay, though- your in good company- i find myself putting on my upstairs feet & twinkling up the stairs whenever i run accross stairs- just cant be helped!!!!

its like the folks that stare at us in public for talking to our babies when they KNOW that they cant talk back- ya just have to grin & take comfort that one day, it too shall pass!!!!

January 24, 2008 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

My husband teases me that Ladybug is just my excuse for behaving like a child. : )

January 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home