Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Chucky doll

Would I sound like an ingrate if I said I put one of the dolls my mother-in-law gave Ladybug in a box for the yard sale?

It was a nice gesture on my mother-in-law’s part – a little doll for a little girl – but, well, the doll freaks me out.

My mother-in-law bought the doll in France, so it’s supposed to speak French. It does, but with a Chinese accent. It also has eyes that open and shut, and I’m pretty sure they roll up in its head. I keep waiting to pick the doll up one day and see the eyes fly open. There will only be the whites glaring back at me. The doll will cackle and say “Mama, mama” in that ghoulish voice.

When my mother-in-law was visiting us, she asked if Ladybug liked the doll. Truth is, I didn’t show it to Ladybug. But not wanting to hurt my mother-in-law’s feelings I said the doll had small pieces that could pose a choking hazard – a mini rattle, baby bottle, pacifier, butcher’s knife. Just joking on that last item, but that doll really could be a stand-in for Chucky.

Anyway, as I was separating things for the yard sale, I felt guilty for not giving Ladybug the doll. I figured I’d just show it to her and then put it back in the box.

“Baby!” Ladybug yelled when I pulled it out. “Baby! Baby! Baby!”

Oh, geez, what did I get myself into? I couldn’t very well put it away now. And neither could she. She takes it in her playpen, carries it around the house, totes it in the diaper bag.

You could almost say that doll is following us.

Share your thoughts and read other comments by clicking HERE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home