Thursday, August 2, 2007

Parental newbies

When my husband and I first found out we were going to have a baby, we started buying all the “must haves” according to parenting magazines: Diaper Genie (hate it), a crib with a drop-down side (never could get it to work), a baby bath tub (never figured out how to get the baby in there and maneuver enough to wash her.) Then there was the ultimate gotta-have: The Baby Einstein collection.

Everyone we knew who had kids raved about the DVDs, how stimulating they are for babies, how riveted they are by the images, etc. So we bought a couple. At $20 a pop, this better be must-see TV, we thought.

We put the first one in the DVD player as soon as we got home. I don’t know what we were expecting but it certainly wasn’t moving images of toys and various lights that we had in mind.

I looked at the package to make sure we had bought the right thing.

“Oooohhh, it’s a digital board book.,” I said to my husband. “What’s a board book?”

“I don’t know how any kid could watch this,” he replied. “It’s kind of stupid.”

We put the DVDs on a shelf in Ladybug’s room, and there they stayed until she was several months old. Then one day in an act of desperation to get her to stop crying, my husband reminded me we had the DVDs.

“Just try it. We’ve done everything we can,” he said.

We put the DVD in and it got quiet. It worked! Ladybug’s eyes were glued to the screen. We ended up buying the entire collection.

We don’t need the DVDs to calm Ladybug down any more; she just asks for it by name when she feels the need to relax. The bonus: I get to unwind for 35 minutes as well. There’s just something about those moving images of toys and various lights that soothe the soul.

Share your thoughts and read other comments by clicking HERE.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are amazing videos! Amazing, because it used to put J into a trance for 30 minutes after I would get home from work -- giving me time to prep dinner or kick my feet up!

kks

August 3, 2007 at 7:16 AM  
Blogger Major Mom said...

My daughter loved those but for some weird reason my son was terrified of them. Maybe he thought all those spinning toys defied logic. He liked his toys behaving normally, thank you very much.

August 3, 2007 at 9:16 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

As much as Ladybug loves them, we still have to avoid Baby MacDonald, the one with all the farm animals. She's scared of cows ....

August 6, 2007 at 6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home