Thursday, November 29, 2007

A (plaid) cardinal sin

Yesterday I cracked. I spent $17 on an outfit for Ladybug.

Seventeen dollars, smethenteen dollars, what’s the big deal, you ask? Because my rule when it comes to clothes shopping for Ladybug is: If I can’t get it for $5 or less, I don’t get it. Why spend more money than I have to when there are always bargains to be found?

But I had been eyeing the rack of velvet dresses in Sam’s Club for at least the last three trips. I never said anything to my husband about them because his philosophy to me has always been: If you want it, buy it. I knew that if he spotted me imagining what Ladybug would look like in one of them, he would tell me to throw it in the shopping cart, and frankly, I didn’t want to cave in.

And that’s exactly what happened yesterday. As we headed back to the food section, I nonchalantly steered the cart past the rack of toddler clothes. I made some passing comment about the cute dresses, what did he think of them, are we dressing up for Christmas again this year? Alright, alright, I planted the seed and he ran with it.

“Ladybug would look really cute in that one,” he said, pointing to a poofy dress with a black velvet top, plaid skirt and a velvet red rose pulling it all together.

“You think?”

“Absolutely. You should get it.”

No need to tell me twice. Into the shopping cart it went.

I felt a bit guilty about the splurge, so I dressed Ladybug up in it today and started taking lots of pictures. Our Christmas card will feature Ladybug sporting that $17 dress. Our annual Ladybug calendar will spotlight the same dress, different pose. And let’s not forget all the photo opportunities Christmas Day.

Oh, what the heck. Ladybug is absolutely adorable in that dress.

Seventeen dollars, smethenteen dollars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home