Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Take 2

We decided to give potty training another go round this past week. So far, we’ve had no better luck than Ladybug’s first attempt two months ago that was sidelined by a mysterious rash that made sitting on the potty uncomfortable.

Maybe the rash was a reaction to the cleaning products I used to scrub down her potty before the first use. Maybe it was from the toilet paper that she had piled so high in the potty it tickled her bottom. Maybe it was from the pee that soaked through her big-girl underwear faster than I could change them.

Maybe it was a sign she wasn’t ready to start yet.

So I waited a few more months before giving it another shot. I read a little more on various tactics, talked up the potty, printed out pictures of Elmo cheering Ladybug on and hung them in the bathroom. Rather than going straight to underwear as we did last time, I decided to try the pull-up diapers that let her feel when she’s wet.

The first time I put them on Ladybug, I explained that she would feel when she peed and that she would need to tell me. Sure enough, five minutes later Ladybug touched her diaper and said, “Pee-pee.” That was the first and last time. From that point on, if I wanted to know if she had gone to the bathroom, I either had to do the sniff test or ask, and I never got a reliable answer with either method.

So I’m giving up on the pull-ups for now. There’s no sense wasting money when Ladybug doesn’t care that she’s wet. In fact, the only thing that interests her in the whole process is the princesses printed on the front of the pull-ups.

I think we’re going to take a break from this potty training for a little while longer until I can figure out another strategy. If you’ve got a thought on the matter, please chime in by clicking HERE.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi Rankin Webb said...

what about good old fashioned rubber panties?? well i know they arent rubber anymore, but the kind we all had when we were kids- the sort of insulated training panties.. they dont imediately leak all over the floor-yet become soaked on the inside...they might actually do better than the pullups-which still are nothing more than diapers in disguise without the tabs-
seriously- i THINK you can get em at burlington- a friend gave me a huge walmart bag when her youngest finished training & i have diligently kept them on a shelf, waiting for my turn to use them!
its a weird idea, but it might make her care- its worth a try!
~Mimi

November 27, 2007 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

It can't hurt to try. I'll give them a look next time we're in Burlington. Thanks for the suggestion.

November 28, 2007 at 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home