Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Going up? Too bad

If Ladybug and I are out shopping with the stroller, I don’t expect people to hold the store doors for us, even if that would be the polite thing to do. I figured out a long time ago how to lean over the stroller canopy to catch a closing door or how to prop one open with my foot as I maneuver the baby four-wheeler through. Elevators, though, are a completely different story.

This past weekend Ladybug and I went to the Krewe of Gemini parade. We left before it was over to beat the rush back to the parking garage. But you know how slow elevators can be, and we were still waiting with another mother and her stroller when people started pouring in from the parade. The crowd started to swell behind us, but I wasn’t concerned since us mothers were first in line and the polite thing to do is to let those first in line pass, right?

I was comforted by the sound of a stranger’s voice behind me saying to her family as the elevator doors opened, “They have strollers … “

That was before she yelled, “Quick!”

Before I knew it, she and her kids and several people behind her had bumped past me and the other mother. The elevator doors closed, and the other mother and I looked at each other with unbelieving stares. She told me she had already missed several elevators for the same reason.

“Alright then,” I said. “You block the right side, I’ll block the left. We don’t let anyone past.”

It was kind of a bitchy move but, hey, what goes around …

So when the elevator doors opened again, the edges of our strollers were pressed up against them. As she wheeled her stroller on and the crowd started to try to press through the opening, I threw back my right arm and warned them away. When we were both in, at least 10 people tried to squeeze in, all the while giving us dirty looks for having strollers.

The elevator was so overloaded, it wouldn’t move. But I had no intention of getting off. The late-coming strollerless passengers could either wait their turn for the next elevator or move their lazy butts up two flights of stairs.

At least that would be the polite thing to do.

6 Comments:

Blogger Adamsmom said...

It amazes me that people can be so rude. This is the south, right? Aren't people here supposed to be kind and considerate? I don't blame you at all for blocking the door, I'd have done the same thing.

February 7, 2008 at 6:08 AM  
Blogger Mimi Rankin Webb said...

yep, folks are rude as rude can be- its EVERYWHERE- north, south- you name it!

i ADORE taking the elevator- all i have to do is get my stroller edge catecornered to that door when it opens & i'm the ONLY thing getting thru it!!!

we take up almost the ENTIRE elevator, too- muahahahahaa-try & squeeze in on top of us- just watch em try!!!!

my kids bite, grope & hit now that they are older making small spaces fun for the unsuspecting!!!

sometimes a mum's gotta do what a mum's gotta do!!!!!

way to go michelle!!!!

February 7, 2008 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Melissa Swanson said...

It makes me angry just reading about this. For all of those out there that were pushing and shoving, shame on you! It's not safe for people to be crowding around a small child in an elevator. Imagine how frightening it is to them when everyone is pushing and shoving. I would have done the same thing; or maybe even worse. Good for you for standing up for yourself and your child.

February 7, 2008 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good grief!! i hate people like that! and i am right there with ya...i am just as rude when that happens to me, and i have a double stroller that i am pushing around!! i get down right mad and talk very openly and say things i probably shouldn't!! but come on!!

February 8, 2008 at 7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg ... I can't believe this happened! I'm so proud y'all blocked others so you could get onto the elevator. I've never heard of such rude people!

kks

February 10, 2008 at 3:51 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

yep, rudeness is univeral ... and reciprocal!

February 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home