Sunday, February 17, 2008

Affirmation

Every time I strike up conversation with other parents at the playground and they tell me their children are the same age as Ladybug, I politely say, “I thought they might be the same age.” But in my head I’m thinking, “You’ve got to be kidding me! They’re so small!”

Ladybug consistently stands at least a head taller than other kids her age. Her above-average height is confirmed each time we go to the pediatrician. This week, when she went back for her two-year checkup, the doctor gave us the latest news: Her height is off the growth chart.

I watched as the pediatrician scribbled a couple numbers on a piece of paper, saying he could use a formula to estimate Ladybug’s final height with 85 percent accuracy, give or take an inch. Care to venture a guess?

Six feet. Six feet!

I suppose it’s to be expected. I’m just thee inches short of that height. My husband is about that tall. My father is a few inches more, while my husband’s grandfather towered more than seven feet. It’s genetics, pure and simple.

But what the doctor said next made me kind of proud: “If she continues on her current path, she’ll have that tall and lean look that everyone desires.”

At 37 inches tall, Ladybug weighs a healthy 30 pounds thanks to our efforts to feed her nutritious, well-balanced meals made from scratch. It’s a tedious endeavor at times (especially in the middle of potty training), but hearing we’re doing something right makes it all worthwhile.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi Rankin Webb said...

dont worry, my doctor said the same thing about me when i was little using that secret secret formula (whatever it may be) & once i hit 11, i NEVER GREW AGAIN!!!! i kid you not- i went to the doctor a few weeks ago, thinking i was one height, & i was an INCH smaller!!!!
so there is hope that she wont be too tall-she'll be just right-whatever that may be!!!!

(then again, i am one of those folks with tiny pygmy children who are barely if even on those pesky growth charts...)

February 18, 2008 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Michelle Mahfoufi said...

The height doesn't bother me, although it may be a different story for her in middle school. I remember being called bird legs because I was so much taller than everyone else.
My focus, though, is on her weight. It's too easy to get overweight and way too hard to lose it!

February 20, 2008 at 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home